SilverSeal® Hydrogel dressings are cross-linked polymer based gels that may be made into sheets. Unlike antibiotics, silver works through a multimodal mechanism of action whereby pathogens from exudating wounds are safely eradicated. Silver technology has increasingly become a mainstay in hospitals in the past 3-5 years to thwart the incidence of hospital acquired infections.
Silver based wound dressings are becoming increasingly prevalent in wound care due to the recent increase of antibiotic-resistant bacteria such as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, known as MRSA. Silver, when moist, emits ions. Silver ions (Ag+) are bioactive and in sufficient concentration readily kill bacteria. Unlike competing products, which are largely dry in nature, Alliqua’s dressing is approximately 95% water based; and hence, does not have the issues of requiring pre-wetting or absorption of transdermal water loss or wound exudate to become bioactive.
Alliqua’s SilverSeal® Hydrogel sheets can hold themselves in place; however, they are non-adherent (they do not bond to the wound, skin or hair) and thus can be removed while moist without causing additional trauma to the wound bed. Alliqua’s hydrogels can absorb 2X their weight in exudate. Borderless hydrogel dressings may require secondary dressings.
Key Features & Benefits
- Extended wear time – up to seven days.
- Low adhesion; less likely to cause pain during dressing changes.
- Provides moist environment which is ideal for wound healing.
- Continuous, sustained release of silver cations for broad spectrum antimicrobial activity against a broad range of bacteria.
- Controls the volume of wound fluid and optimizes the wound environment for a balanced healing process.
- Enhances patient comfort by providing cooling effect.
- Available in 2″ x 3″ (5.1cm x 7.6cm) or 4″ x 5″ (10cm x 12.7cm) sheets.
- Packaged in individual sealed foil pouches.
- Applicable to: Partial and full thickness dermal ulcers, leg ulcers, superficial wounds, abrasions, first and second degree burns, donor sites, and over debrided and grafted partial thickness wounds.
- Contain approximately 1.5% of 99.9% Pure Elemental Silver, 92.7% Deionized Water, and 5.5% Polyethelene Oxide.